California Law Effective January 1, 2018
A new law in California adds posting and sexual harassment training requirements for certain employers. A summary of the law is listed below.
New Posting Requirement
Under the new law, every employer must post a notice (developed by the state) regarding transgender rights in a prominent and accessible location in the workplace.
General topics covered by this poster include:
- Definitions of certain terms such as transgender, gender identity, gender expression and gender transition.
- The importance of allowing an employee to dress in accordance with the employee’s gender identity and expression.
- A discussion on the right of employees to use restrooms, locker rooms and other similar facilities corresponding to their gender identity.
“We expect this posting requirement to increase understanding of the law and assist California employers in providing safe and inclusive work environments,”
– Kevin Kish, Director of DFEH.
New Sexual Harassment Training Requirements
Under current law, employers with 50 or more employees must provide at least 2 hours of classroom or other effective interactive training and education regarding sexual harassment to all supervisory employees in California within 6 months of their assumption of a supervisory position. A covered employer must provide sexual harassment training and education to each supervisory employee in California once every 2 years. Click here (§ 12950.1) for more details.
Under the new law, covered employers must also provide training inclusive of harassment based on gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation as a component of the training and education specified above. The training and education must include practical examples inclusive of harassment based on gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation, and must be presented by trainers or educators with knowledge and expertise in those areas.
Additional provisions are contained in the text of the new law. The law is effective January 1, 2018.
These notices can be obtained free of charge from the California Department of Industrial Relations.
- For the convenience of our customers, we will be including the new Transgender Rights In The Workplace notice in our 2018 California & Federal Combination Posters.
- Also, to aid in sexual harassment training, we are also offering the newly updated California Sexual Harassment Notice as a laminated poster available in 3 different sizes. Displaying a poster signifies compliance and is evidence for the training provided.
- The newly updated California Industrial Welfare Commission (IWC) Wage Order Posters are also available as a 24″ x 39″ laminated poster. This poster that contains updates for January 2017 and January 2018 is what regulates the working conditions as well the hours and wages of a particular industry or occupation group. It is required by California Labor Code 1183 (d) and enforced by the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE).